OUR LATEST PROJECTS
Integrated Freight System Optimisation
Through the provision of valuable data, information, solutions and tools, PATREC’s Integrated Freight System Optimisation research, aims at improving freight transport and logistics efficiency and effectiveness. We also support planning for economic clusters, by providing a comprehensive overview of freight patterns generated by industrial activities of varying types across the Perth metro.
Our solutions to date, have included:
- multi-modal supply chain optimisation, through the development of methods and technologies for the heavy vehicle sector;
- real-time monitoring throughout the network and assisting transport operators to identify appropriate – tasks by providing a platform to connect customers with operators;
- minimising disruptions at the point of loading where there is often a load and vehicle mismatch.
In parallel and integrated with PATREC’s iMOVE Bid submission process, key research questions from assorted freight-industry leaders and government partners in Western Australia have indicated that integrated road, rail and port operational, pricing and investment solutions are required to ensure that freight is handled optimally.
Three potential areas being considered for modelling application are:
- potential for an inland port to determine the optimal way to connect incoming and outgoing goods-flows to the Port of Fremantle, the East-West railway and the regional and metropolitan road and rail networks;
- modelling to determine the efficient handling of export product (grain and mineral) movements and goods distribution to regional centres and mines; and
- fresh food export freight and logistics.